Lindfield

Zeny Edwards
Joan Rowland

Abstract


Lindfield was originally the traditional land of the Kuringgai (also spelt Guringai) people. It is located on the north shore, 13 kilometres from central Sydney. The name for the railway station and suburb was taken from Lindfield, meaning a clearing in the lime forest, the name of the cottage built by early resident, Francis John List, in 1884 and later moved to Narrabeen. It is assumed that the house was named after the town of Lindfield in Sussex, England. The suburb is bordered by Treatts and Stanhope roads, Garigal National Park, Carnarvon Street, Chelmsford Avenue and Waimea Road to the east of Pacific Highway, and Bayswater and Provincial roads and Lane Cove National Park to the west. It has an area of 517 hectares.

Keywords


Lindfield; postwar development; local history; Australian history; local government

Full Text:

PDF