New Titles - January 2009
|Local Governments and Climate Change: Discussion Paper
A. Deri and M.Alam, Commonwealth Sectretariat, London, UK, 8pp.
Free download from: http://publications.thecommonwealth.org
Climate change poses an immediate threat to the security, well-being and economic activities of all countries. Particularly vulnerable are the 32 small states and 25 small island developing states of the Commonwealth. This Discussion Paper examines the important role that local governments can have in addressing the challenges posed by climate change. It argues that given their proximity to the community, local governments are in a unique position to tackle the cause and effects of climate change. The paper provides examples and gives advice on what local government can do to respond to the issue. Readers are invited to take part in the discussion by emailing comments on the issues raised to firstname.lastname@example.org A selection of comments received will be posted to the Secretariat’s website.
Local Government Law of South Africa
Issue 1, N. Steytler and J.de Visser, LexisNexis, SA, 2007.
View details: http://ebiz.lexisnexis.co.za/bws/
Offers a comprehensive analysis of local government law specifically for legal practitioners, municipal officials, national and provincial officials involved in local government matters and their legal advisors. With the completion of the transition of local government, this volume has been compiled to assist those involved in local government get to grips with the complex new laws, including the Municipal Electoral Act, the Municipal Structures Act, the Municipal Systems Act, the Municipal Finance Management Act, the Property Rates Act and the Intergovernmental Relations Framework Act (and the regulations issued in terms of these Acts).
* History, demarcation and establishment of local government
* Structures of local government, including the council and the municipal executive
* Powers of local government
* Community participation
* System of local government including * IDP and performance management
* Municipal administration including delegation of powers
* Municipal services including debt collection and service delivery agreements
* Financial management including budgeting, accounting and supply chain management
* Municipal income including grants, municipal taxes and property rates
* Local government in intergovernmental relations including intervention and cooperative government.
Financing Local Government
N.Devas with M.Alam, S.Delay, P. Venkatachalam, R. Oppong Koranteng
Commonwealth Secretariat, London UK, 2008. 154pp.
View details: http://publications.thecommonwealth.org/financing-local-government-472-p.aspx